The two major buildings on the Navy Pier are the Headhouse and Auditorium – both were designed by the architect Charles Summer Frost and constructed in 1916.
The most western building, a brick and terra cotta building with two prominent towers is the Navy Pier Headhouse. The name was derived from the area, which at the time was known as the Headlands. Each tower housed a huge 2-million liter tank for the fire sprinkler system. The Headhouse is now home to Chicago’s children museum. At the western side of the building is the 19 acre (8 ha) Gateway Park, featuring a modern, computerized granite fountain with 240 jets.
For more historical information on Navy Pier, click here.