The Alexander Hamilton statue was built in 1940 and is located on Stockton and Cannon in Lincoln Park. Designed by John Angel with a cost of $1M dollars to produce, the statue was commissioned by Kate Sturgis Buckingham. She considered Hamilton “one of the least appreciated great Americans” as she believed that he had secured the nation’s financial future and made it possible for her own family to gain their fortune. The Hamilton structure is gilded in gold and sits on the simple red granite base that was previously mounted to the modern exedra structure.
On the other side of the red granite base is inscribed ..
Gift of Kate Sturgis Buckingham [1885 – 1937] ..
Kate Sturges Buckingham … a philanthropist and art patron also donated the famous Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain