The Chicago Temple Building is located on Washington St. right next to Cook Daley Plaza Civic Center and is the home of the United Methodist Church of Chicago. It was built in 1922, by architects Holabird and Roche and designed in the neo-gothic architectural style inspiring from the Empire State building in New York and is constructed of steel and masonary. At one time this building was the tallest building in Chicago (1924-1930) until it was surpassed by the Chicago Board of Trade. Although it no longer claims that title, it does remain the tallest Church building in the world at 29 stories and 568 feet tall.
All 23 floors of the building are designated for religious and office use. There are three sanctuaries in the building:
- Sanctuary 1 is 2 stories tall on the ground floor with seating available for 1,200 people.
- Sanctuary 2, known as the “Dixon Chapel”, is on the 2nd floor.
- Sanctuary 3 , known as the “Sky Chapel”, is the smallest sanctuary. It is situated below the steeple with seating for only 30 people. The Sky Chapel was installed in 1952 as a gift from Myrtle Walgreen in memory of her husband who founded Walgreens, the chain of drugstores, under their surname. It is considered the highest worship space above street level.